NAMI Georgia Board of Directors Application
The NAMI Georgia Board is a working board and service on the Board requires experience, knowledge, commitment, and time to help Georgians affected by serious mental illness.
Board members should have decision-making experience and knowledge in one or more of the following areas: public policy, fund raising, non-profit legal oversight, outreach and educational programs, technology and communications, marketing, membership development, business, and finance.
Board members are elected to 3-year terms. Board members should be prepared to dedicate 5 hours per month to NAMI Georgia service, including serving on at least one committee.
Board members are expected to:
- Attend and participate in all special called meetings and 4 of 6 board meetings per year (usually 3rd Saturday of January, March, May, July, September, & November). Most meetings are in Atlanta. Board Meetings may be attended via conference call.
- Attend and support the NAMIWalk, annual meeting, and other organizational functions;
- Understand and protect the fiduciary health of the organization;
- Understand and adhere to the legal and fiduciary responsibilities of a non-profit board;
- Understand and support NAMI Georgia’s programs and public policies;
- Be a NAMI member in good standing; and
- Commit to assisting the NAMI Georgia fundraising efforts by direct contribution, participation in fundraisers, assisting with grants, or developing relationships with donors.
You will be asked to sign a Conflict of Interest, Board Agreement, and Significant Contribution to Fundraising Worksheet. By returning a completed application, you are confirming your willingness to fulfill the expectations of the NAMI Georgia Board and that you have read the NAMI Georgia Mission.
NAMI Georgia Board of Directors elections are held annually at the NAMI Georgia Annual Conference & Meeting in April/ May. Deadline for the annual general election is in February. Occasionally, a Board of Directors opening may occur mid-year, in which case there will be an interim selection made by the remaining BOD.
Your submission will be held on file until the next general election or mid-year opening, when applicable.