Thursday, Oct 11: GCDD Candidate Forum on Disability Issues
The Georgia Council on Developmental Disabilities (GCDD) will host its 2018 GCDD Candidate Forum on Disability Issues on Thursday, October 11 in Atlanta. The event will take place at the James H. “Sloppy” Floyd Building from 5:30 p.m. to 8 p.m., and is free and open to the public. Registration is required.
GCDD has invited key candidates for offices that have under their purview myriad issues relevant to the disability community, including healthcare, education and voting. Specifically invited are candidates for Insurance Commissioner, School Superintendent and Secretary of State to address the community and answer questions about how they will overcome specific challenges facing Georgians with disabilities.
Forum participants include candidates for the offices of Insurance Commissioner, School Superintendent and Secretary of State.
Each of these offices oversees key aspects that affect the lives of Georgians with disabilities.
These key issues include:
· Access to affordable healthcare
· Coverage for people with multiple diagnoses
· Medicaid expansion
· Inclusive K-12 classrooms
· The school-to-prison pipeline crisis
· Transitional support of inclusive post-secondary education programs
Secretary of State
· Accessible polling centers
· Concise and easy-to-understand language on ballots
· Easy-to-follow absentee ballot eligibility requirements and process
· Other challenges that 1.3 million Georgians with disabilities face when trying to have their voices heard in the election process