Family Support Group
Family Support Groups are free and open to family members and friends of individuals living with mental illnesses.
NAMI Family-to-Family is a free, 12-week course for family caregivers of individuals with severe mental illnesses.
- All instruction and course materials are free to class participants
What does the course cover?
In-depth information on schizophrenia, major depression, bipolar disorder, OCD, PTSD, and other brain disorders
- Medications, side effects, and strategies for medication adherence
- Problem solving, listening, and communication techniques
- Strategies for handling crises and relapse
- Focusing on care for the caregiver: coping with worry, stress, and emotional overload
- Locating appropriate supports and services within the community
- Information on advocacy to improve and expand services
RESOURCES FOR PARENTS
Ask the Doctor
As part of the NAMI Basics Education Program curriculum development, NAMI’s Medical Director, Dr. Ken Duckworth, answers a few of the most commonly asked questions by parents and other caregivers of children and adolescents with mental illness.